May 11, 2016

Scheffler's Birth Story

During the last couple months of my pregnancy my blood pressure had been running high. My doctor was keeping a close eye on it and thankfully I never need drugs or bedrest. At my 38 week appointment (May 6th, 2015) my blood pressure was again high and since the baby was measuring large they wanted to send me to triage. I was upset, I didn't want this baby to have the same birthday as Henry. I knew they were going to have very close birthdays already but I wanted them each to have their own days. Henry was already often sharing his birthday with Derby and in Louisville, that kind of sucks as a young kid. I knew it was silly but I was really upset. They sent me to triage to monitor my BP over a little time but they knew my wishes and were very respectful of that. If I'd wanted to stay and be induced they would've but since my BP went down, they let me go home. I was done with work for the time being and would be induced at 39 weeks if I hadn't had the baby by then. 

So for the next week I prepared myself as best you can for a second baby. We celebrated Henry's birthday and he spent the weekend with Nick's parents in case I went into labor and we tried to relax. 

The weekend came and went and no baby.

Our instructions were to call the hospital the morning of the 13th, at like 5:00am, and find out when to come in. If they were busy, which they were, we would call back later and see of they were free. About 9:00am they called us and said "Come on!" It was a weird drive to the hospital. When we were heading in with Henry, we didn't know if we'd be staying, but this time we did. On top of that we didn't know which gender baby we are having. Best. Decision. Ever. So were extremely excited to find out what we were having. 

Instead of going to triage, we were put right into L&D. My mom dropped Henry off at his sitters and came to spend the day at the hospital with us. So went through all the typical steps of being induced, pitocin, water breakage, epidural and soon it was after 5:00. I was not all that surprised that it was taking that long, Henry took awhile too. But around 5:30 I started really feeling my contractions, like REALLY feeling them. The anesthesiologist came in and tried to up my dose, it helped a little but not a ton. Things started progressing pretty quickly and I was in considerable pain and ready to go but the doctor wanted me to hold on just a bit longer. I did and then it was time to push! All I remember clearly is watching Jeopardy! While I was in active labor and trying to focus on the questions. Then at 7:45 I remember looking at the clock and thinking "this baby will be out by 7:00!" and sure enough Scheffler was here at 8:03! 

Now, we didn't know what we were having, but I was CONVINCED we were having a girl. I had dreams that we were having a girl. I had all these feelings. But then the night before I was to be induced, I dreamt we were having a boy. So I was doubting myself all day. When Scheffler came out the doctor said "Okay, Mom and Dad look!" and held him up right between us and Nick and I looked right at each other and said "It's a boy!" And the next thing I said was an apology to my son. I had been calling him her and she for awhile now. They put him on my chest and everything seemed right in the world. I had two boys. 

With Henry I didn't have that "angels coming down from the clouds and sunshine and rainbows and harps playing" moment that mothers describe. I knew I loved him but I was tired and now had to start on an adventure without a map. With Scheffler it was different, I was attached very quickly. Maybe it was because I'd counted every day of that pregnancy and prayed so hard for him. But he was here and he was perfect. 


SCHEFFLER JAMES MEYER
5-13-15
8:03
9lbs
21.5in
 


No comments:

Post a Comment