July 21, 2011

NKOTBSB

For just one night I got to be 16 again.

Over a decade ago I went to my very first concert. It was the Backstreet Boys. I remember the lights and dancing and confetti. It was amazing. 12 years later...they were still amazing. Add in New Kids on the Block? And I was in heaven. I don't know how many people said "You're actually going to that?" And all I could think was "You're just mad you're actually NOT going." We bought the tickets back in January and had to wait all this time to go. I even got married in between buying the tickets and going to the concert. But the night finally came.

Last night I walked into the Yum! Center (which is VERY nice btw) with high expectations. Reviews had been coming in from across the nation, and they were good. Just the night before NKOTBSB was in St. Louis and my Facebook feed was full of excited fans and rave reviews. I only hoped AJ, Nick, Brian, Howie, Joey, Jordan, Donnie, Danny, and Jonathan could live up to the hype. Did they ever.

From the opening act to the last curtain the show lasted THREE hours. The first opening act was Midnight Red. A new boy band from California. They were pretty good! We will see if they get big. Being on this tour can't hurt. They sounded like the boy bands I remember from high school and wouldn't have been big then but there isn't a whole lot out there right now like them. The hard part is that teeny boppers aren't at the NKOTBSB concerts to see them and get interested. Here's a couple pictures from them:


Next came Matthew Morrison from Glee. He was VERY good and has a GREAT voice. He was a fun show and perfect opener for NKOTBSB. He has a talent but I think he will forever be Mr. Schuester from Glee and may only make it big on broadway. I'd be surprised if he was ever very popular in the mainstream. But he would be GREAT on broadway and I'd see a show with him. I have to admit though, the whole time I felt like I was watching Mr. Schu. Its very hard to separate the two of them, since they appear to be such similar people. A few pictures of him:




Then it was finally time! We were very excited because we thought we still had to sit through Jordin Sparks, but we didn't. This curtain dropped down and started flashing pictures of all the guys:


And then it dropped and there the 9 of them were standing on a raised platform that dropped into the stage.


At this point I was screaming like a 12 year old girl. For the next 2 hours they sang, danced, entertained, excited and put on an amazing show. I was not disappointed one bit. It was everything I expected and more. They knew what people wanted to see and gave it to us. They sang all the songs people wanted to hear and did all the dances people wanted to see. It was nice that they didn't try to do too much together as well. NKOTB would sing a song and then BSB would and then they would slow it down and each would do 2-3. They didn't try to mash their songs together or sing each other's songs, and was a good choice. There were pyrotechnics and lights and confetti but that stuff didn't overshadow the guys. It was just enough of everything. The bands were the show and that's how it should have been.

The strangest this about the night was the behavior of Nick Carter. I don't know if I just don't remember how crazy he was or if he was drunk or if he is just a mockery of himself. He was ALL over the place. There isn't really a better way to describe it than to say he seemed drunk. Just very strange dance moves and actions all night. Who knows what was going on, but it was entertaining.

One of the best parts about the show was the stage. There was the main stage but then a walkway out to a smaller circular stage that turned out to be a platform.


So although we had seats to the side of the main stage, it didn't matter. The bands were constantly right in front of us. I know you all have been to concerts with similar setups that weren't utilized. Last night it was and very well.

Overall I have NO complaints. I got my money's worth and more and would see the show again. Here's a few pictures of the guys throughout the night. I took nearly 100 so it was hard to choose. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment